Sunday, August 16, 2009

4 states, big boats, big easy

Friday August 14 Venerdi 14 Agosto

Today would be a short day of 200 miles or so. But it took us from Florida into Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana. We got on the freeway from our Florida campground and almost immediately crossed the border into Alabama. I wanted to stop in Mobile and see the battleship USS Alabama that is on display there. Doug Hendrickson and I went by there in 2006 but I elected not to stop at that time. This time I was going to stop and we did. It was impressive to walk around the ship and the biggest surprise was that the engine room was also open to the public. That is where I was stationed on an aircraft carrier when I was in the navy so I really wanted to see an ngine room again. It was somewhat different naturally then the aircraft carrier but close enough that I could explain some of it to Linda. I probably sounded like a kid with a new toy to her. After touring all of the battleship we walked over to the submarine on display, the USS Drum and toured it as well. The diesel engines that drive the generators in a submarine have always intrigued me and one of them had clear covers over the upper crankshaft so that I could see the internal construction. Very interesting. Before leaving we had a cool drink as it was quite hot and humid. Then it was into Mississippi where we were hammered by very heavy rain for about 5 miles. There was no offramp and the visibility was too poor to safely stop on the side of the highway. We were soaked when we got through the rain and we were almost completely dry again in 20 more miles of riding. On into Louisiana to the motel where we would be staying for 2 nights. Thankfully it was right next to the offramp and easy to find as my GPS is basically worthless now with all of it's problems. Clint and Charleen had arrived 30 minutes before us and had arranged for our room. The air conditioning and a shower felt really good. Later we went into the Bourbon Street area for dinner and observations of the nighttime revelry and debauchery. I hate to admit it but it was too crowded and noisy for me but the meal was really good as was the opportunity to actually see sights that I had only seen on tv. We did see quite a few damaged or destroyed houses and businesses. Very sad. About 230 miles today.


Linda controls the engine speed


Looking forward past the 16" guns


The Bourbon Street beat

No comments:

Post a Comment