Tuesday, June 16, 2009

A tale of 3 ferries

Friday Evening June 12 Venerdi Sera 12-Giugno

We left Vancouver Island this morning after about a 60 mile ride to the ferry terminal. It is interesting that the ferry takes us to the mainland but the only way to get farther south is to take another ferry as there are only about 27 miles of roads here. When we got to the next ferry station we discovered that we had a 3 hour wait so we went back up the coast to a seaside park. Naturally we walked the beach while we were there. There were oysters laying on the rocks of the beach. I did not give them much thought but Clint brought one to me, opened it up and had me eat it. What a difference between fairly fresh oysters and straight from the shell. It was very good. Then it was time to head to the next ferry. When we landed at the next town it was the same idea, limited roads and another ferry to get to the next city, Horsehoe Bay, which is north of Vancouver. It was about 50 miles of nice twisty road to get there. And of course the ferry was late. But it arrived and we finally got to the real mainland. Clint had reserved a motel close to the ferry landing and that is where we stayed. Lo and behold there were other Australians staying there from the area where Clint and Charleen lives. We sat around too long and when I went to get us some sandwiches I found everything closed. So once again I made a mistake that each time I swear will not happen again. I ordered take out fish and chips at a Chinese restaurant. This time I swear I will never, never make that mistake again. 160 miles counting boat rides.

Leg1Day14 096

Fresh oyster on the half shell

ferries6-12-09 025

Third ferry of the day

No comments:

Post a Comment