Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Whistler, Cereal, Customs and Dairies

Saturday Evening June-13 Sabato Sera 13-Giugno

So this morning it was off the the Whistler ski area which will be home to the 2010 olympics. There is a lot of construction happening and also road repair on the main highway into Whistler. After riding through Whistler which appears to be a typical high priced ski resort town we turned east and got onto a typical Canadian mountain road full of pot holes, frost heaves and crude repairs. Only the roads that the Olympic Game attendees see are being renewed. We are working our way to the Canadian-Washington border. We pass through a good sized city and I check the GPS for a Safeway. The town has one so I speed up to catch Clint but a state policeman gets on the freeway in front of me. I patiently wait and he takes the next off ramp. Time to get on the gas but now an ambulance comes on the freeway in front of me with it’s emergency lights on. Finally I can catch up and we turn around and go back several miles to the Safeway. I am trying to buy a box of Canadian breakfast cereal called Red River. I tried some 2 years ago and liked it, bought a box then and now it is gone. So I wanted to replenish my supply. Finally we get to customs. The agent asks me how I am and I tell him I am fine and ask how he is. He tells me he is in a really bad mood and cannot shake it. I sympathize with him and I am set free. But the Australian duo have to stay longer for some paper work. So I go on into town and get groceries for tonight’s meal. Clint and Charleen see my bike at the store and we all take off for the local KOA campground in Lynden, Washington using the ever popular GPS to guide us. There is a strange smell in the air like dairy farms. Sure enough we are driving by several dairy farms. Finally the road dead ends at a field. So now we have to trick the GPS into giving us a different route which we do and we finally arrive still wondering why there is a KOA in dairy country. This is a big KOA with several hundred motor home spaces and most are filled. There are 2 small lakes for fishing, a swimming pool, playground for kids, miniature golf course. As is typical we are put way in the back far from the restrooms and showers while the big self-contained motor homes are next to the bathrooms. I had purchased 2 small steaks but we did not have a way to cook them. I saw a table covered with dishes beside a motor home and there was a sign saying FREE, TAKE IT. Well, there was a small cast iron skillet there so I took it and voila, Charleen whipped up dinner for us. 320 miles today, no boats.

No comments:

Post a Comment